Parent Warmline: 1-833-REACH-OR / 1-833-732-2467

Reply To: I’m working and trying to keep my kids in online school!! It’s exhausting!!

Home Forums Community Discussions I’m working and trying to keep my kids in online school!! It’s exhausting!! Reply To: I’m working and trying to keep my kids in online school!! It’s exhausting!!

pineapple_shortcake
Keymaster

Hi a1advocate! I too am working from home with a teen who is doing online school. I have been trying to support their attempt to stay connected with their small group of friends. My daughter has come up with creative ideas to socialize. Last weekend, I took her to her friends’ home where they decided to have a picnic at a school across the street from her friends home. It was a cold day and they brought blankets and practiced social distancing and brought snacks to share with each other. They brought things like sippy cups, oreo cookies and brownies. It was a fun and silly experience for them and helped them feel connected in the planning and then actually having their picnic. I am not sure how old your son is, but my child is also involved with online games such as Among Us and Minecraft where they meet their friends and play online. School has been challenging because I cannot just drop everything when there is a need for help. So, what I started doing is letting them know my work schedule daily and letting them know that I can be available to help if there is help needed after I get off from my shift. I give them the opportunity to read, play games and/or choose another activity if they get stuck and cannot work on another school task. I have learned that being flexible with them helps them to learn flexibility with me and themselves. It is a hard time for all of us and we can get through this together!

Join the Community

Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter, the very latest from Reach Out Oregon.

Select list(s) to subscribe to

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: OFSN Training Program, 4275 Commercial St. SE , Salem, OR, 97302, http://ofsn.org/events/. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Reach Out Oregon. Please complete the form below.

Volunteer Form

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for sharing information about a needed resource. Please complete the form below.

Request a Resource Form
Attachment
Maximum upload size: 5MB

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.