Parent Warmline: 1-833-REACH-OR / 1-833-732-2467

Youth and anxiety around COVID and Communnity

Home Forums Community Discussions Youth and anxiety around COVID and Communnity

• Author
    Participant

Hello-
    I must say that distance learning has been really helpful in reducing my teens anxiety around school. However, her social anxiety has skyrocketed pertaining to social situations that would not have taken her into panic attack mode. We took a road and stopped to eat. Families were wearing masks and social distancing, however more crowds were out than had been out this summer. She went into full panic mode, short breath, sweating, crying. I have seen this more frequently lately. I am really worried if this will affect her when we can start to get back to normal. I don’t want her to be afraid to live her life, but I get that COVID can be frightening.

To ModMom,
    Anxiety is such a tricky challenge to manage, especially at such a young age then you add everything that is going on this year. I have had many friends/families mention a similar fear when it comes to how their children will be affected when we go back to “normal”. I never have the right answer to give, but the advice I can give is too take things slow. Don’t just jump right back into the chaos. Start slow! Watch and observe your youth and let them guide you. Let them take the lead and just go with it. If an activity triggers an attack simply step back, give yourself Grace and then try again a different day. No one was prepared for our worlds to change like they have, and even when things start calming down and we are allowed to go back to “normal” that normal will never be what it was before. We will all be adjusting. We just have to remember to go at our own paces so we can learn and adjust in a way that works for yourself and your family!
    I am wishing you and your family the best of luck!!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join the Community

Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter, the very latest from Reach Out Oregon.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Reach Out Oregon. Please complete the form below.

Volunteer Form

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for sharing information about a needed resource. Please complete the form below.

Request a Resource Form
Attachment
Maximum upload size: 5MB

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.