Parent Warmline: 1-833-REACH-OR / 1-833-732-2467

Reply To: Let’s talk about community inclusion!

Home Forums Community Discussions Let’s talk about community inclusion! Reply To: Let’s talk about community inclusion!

dw

It is so great to hear about the inclusive martial arts and Girl Scout troop. My son, who is on the autism spectrum, has had both good and challenging experiences in activities, and we never did find any that were specifically designed to be inclusive. It was hard to figure out what activities would suit a kid easily overwhelmed by noise and light. Ice hockey was amazing for him when he was younger. He learned skating and basic skills. The coaches seemed to recognize his differences, and were patient without being patronizing. I think of that as casual inclusion, and I honor all the adults who recognize and accept differences. Still, he dropped out after sixth grade, because competition was too intense for him, with sounds and conversations that made no sense. For him, casual activities were stressful. So in the summer we tried to find fun classes like cartoon drawing. That way, there was structure but entertainment too.

Join the Community

Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter, the very latest from Reach Out Oregon.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Reach Out Oregon. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Reach Out Oregon. Please complete the form below.

Volunteer Form

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for sharing information about a needed resource. Please complete the form below.

Request a Resource Form
Attachment
Maximum upload size: 5MB

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.