Parent Warmline: 1-833-REACH-OR / 1-833-732-2467

Reply To: Let’s talk about community inclusion!

Home Forums Community Discussions Let’s talk about community inclusion! Reply To: Let’s talk about community inclusion!

StefW
Participant

Those groups all sound amazing, I come from a more rural area and inclusion is not really there. It is rather disheartening, I have always wanted to promote more inclusion but I also have yet to find something that I have seen my kiddo has been passionate about to “include” him, he is very into introversion and avoiding groups and people, so it always felt counterintuitive to force “inclusion” when he didn’t seem to care, even though I cared.
I believe that when it happens organically and the kiddos/adults are just as welcoming into those spaces and encourage accommodations is what makes it work. It’ll fail (from my standpoint) if I try to make my kiddo fit into a space that he would rather not to begin with.
I would then be the momma living vicariously through my kiddo and not letting him grow into the human that he is, and trying to make him live to appease me.

With that being said, I think the best idea I have about it. Is to help have a resource that fundraises and promotes inclusion by aiding groups, clubs, sports programs that are going to allow individuals with special needs use the funds to help accommodate the kiddo into participating to their best abilities. There should also be legislation that promotes and validates the allowing for any abilities to join and be accommodated into the spaces and not just allowing for any type of discrimination to happen with or without validity because most often it stems from closed minds rather than wanting to bring difference into the spaces.
I often always wonder what kind of world would this be, if differences were allowed and accommodated, celebrated and not shunned in all spaces and by all.. would it really be a possibility?

Join the Community

Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter, the very latest from Reach Out Oregon.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Reach Out Oregon. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Reach Out Oregon. Please complete the form below.

Volunteer Form

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for sharing information about a needed resource. Please complete the form below.

Request a Resource Form
Attachment
Maximum upload size: 5MB

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.