Parent Warmline: 1-833-REACH-OR / 1-833-732-2467

Medical Discrimination and Ableism

Home Forums Community Discussions Medical Discrimination and Ableism

• Author
    JenCan
    Participant

I would really like to stop collecting stories about my son being discriminated against in Medical Settings, but I think that would require some in depth anti-ableism trainings to happen. I cannot count how many times I’ve had to call patient satisfaction lines to report that medical staff were not capable of presuming competence, no matter how many times I ask them to include him in the conversation, no matter how many times I tell them that my son can understand everything they are saying and deserves to be treated as such. I am spearheading an effort to create a training and am wondering if any other families might want to join me, or share insight and ideas based off of their own experiences to help get a better idea as to what all should be included in the training?

StefW
    Participant

I would love to join and help you in any way needed. I haven’t really fought this too much as I think of it because the stuff I have faced was the battles to even get my kiddo to be in a appointment even if at all was a battle, once he seen those white coats, it was nope.. we are not staying here!
    Much of the stuff my kiddo and I have faced was micro aggressions and racial discrimination in medical settings. One nurse who was unable to help get my kiddo prepped in a dental office and was reliant on me to calm him. She asked,” So does your kiddo have downs? is that his problem???” After that I said,” thank you.. we are going to reschedule,” and never went back. As in being Native American, she implicated that I caused his behavioral issues with drinking with him in utero. I made the call to complain and I received no response back or apologies for the way she conducted herself. We have faced several incidences of this and this one is one that sticks out like it was yesterday.
    The stuff my kiddo and I have faced was more along the lines of the proper channels of training in understanding and assisting families with special needs and Identifying that quality of care might look a little differently than handling a neurotypical individual. I think that with what you are saying, is totally something that aligns with the struggles because it’s quality of care and treating the individual without bypassing.
    I am sorry you go through that and your young person faces that on a regular basis. It’s not right. That is what I always love about you! you always acknowledged Aj knowing he can hear you, he already adores you and ROO team because he’s listening and like these ladies “get it”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join the Community

Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter, the very latest from Reach Out Oregon.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Reach Out Oregon. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Reach Out Oregon. Please complete the form below.

Volunteer Form

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for sharing information about a needed resource. Please complete the form below.

Request a Resource Form
Attachment
Maximum upload size: 5MB

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.