Parent Warmline: 1-833-REACH-OR / 1-833-732-2467

Raising advocates

Home Forums Community Discussions Raising advocates

• Author
    Modmom78
    Participant

So my 15 year old shared with me that a bill is being passed that calls out the importance of mental health days. She researched it and shared that it calls for 4 mental health days a year. My response was, “Is that for employees?” and she goes “mom, it’s just good health care, it should be for everyone”. So now she is claiming her mental health day rights, lol. My husband was like “a year is long and 4 is not alot, use them wisely”. I am always surprised by the advocacy and work she will put into certain things.

dw

I love that your daughter has the curiosity and engagement to be aware of mental health issues. It’s funny how every family approaches mental health and anxiety in such different ways. Like some parents tell their teens, “Don’t be so dramatic. Anxiety is just an excuse.” And others, like you guys, sound super supportive. I’m glad you’re proud of your wise child 🙂

Suzanne
    Participant

I had no idea about this passing but I love it. Not sure if 4 is enough especially for these kiddos going to school or peers working in some stressful jobs BUT I feel like this is such a great start!

JenCan
    Participant

I love that your daughter is advocating for her own mental health. Way to foster that sense of personal power in her. I bet she will continue down the path. Sounds like she is already contributing to making the world a better place. And yes, I agree with the the other commenters that 4 days is a silly limit to place on wellness care. Keep up the good work mama!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join the Community

Sign up to receive the monthly newsletter, the very latest from Reach Out Oregon.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Reach Out Oregon. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Reach Out Oregon. Please complete the form below.

Volunteer Form

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.

Thanks for Reaching Out

Thank you for sharing information about a needed resource. Please complete the form below.

Request a Resource Form
Attachment
Maximum upload size: 5MB

By submitting this form you are confirming that you are at least 18 years of age and that you agree to all Reach Out Oregon Terms of Use and Privacy Rights.